[b-greek] RE: Mark's Greek

From: Ken Smith (kens@180solutions.com)
Date: Tue Sep 05 2000 - 13:04:08 EDT

I don't know if this really qualifies as an answer to your question, but
I took a course in Mark at Fuller from Bob Guellich (who died just
before completing the second volume of his Word Biblical Commentary on
Mark). It was a wonderful class, and it probably wouldn't be excessive
to describe it as life changing. It inspired the following poem, which
I share here not because it's anything like on-target, but because
bGreek is the only possible audience I can imagine for it, seeing as the
crucial line is in Greek :-). (And trust me, I share all the usual
qualms about subjecting a captive audience to YAP [Yet Another Poem].)

KATA MARKON

God not fleshed out nor voice made flesh
was what they saw: all thunder they no crash
could deny; no apocalyptic lightning
was seen. Their doubts were made of subtler things.

No savior could not save himself and so
no prophet to come no Christ could not die
and suffer the children, and what was more why
the women left running you never can know.

A God at cross-purposes was speaking
in the last impaled ambiguity
of a would-be crucified Jewish king
muttered words of holy duplicity:
HGGIKEN hH BASILEIA TOU QEOU.

Hard, hard the faith his hard fate held them to.

Ken Smith