[b-greek] Rich Folks in Mk 10:23,24

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Fri Sep 08 2000 - 17:01:06 EDT

The general consensus seems to be that Jesus takes his statement about
hOI TA CRHMATA ECONTES in Mk 10:23

PWS DUSKOLWS hOI TA CRHMATA ECONTES EIS
THN BASILEIAN TOU QEOU EISELEUSONTAI

and makes is universal in Mk 10:24

PWS DUSKOLON EISTIN EIS THN BASILEIAN TOU QEOU EISELQEIN

I don't find this conclusion very compelling for several reasons. It is
quite common for a verbal repetition to be abbreviated without any intended
change in meaning. So assuming that NA27 has the original reading (see the
alt. readings for Mk 10:24) I think one could argue that this is just
streamlining of the original statement and not an intended shift in focus
from a specific principal to a universal principle. I am not denying the
universal principle is taught elsewhere, I am just talking about Mk 10:24.

The context both preceding and following Mk 10:24 is talking about the
problems the "rich" have EIS THN BASILEIAN TOU QEOU EISELEUSONTAI. I see no
compelling reason to expand the scope of the statement in Mk 10:24 and make
it universal. One reason that a universal statement in Mk 10:24 seems
unlikely is that it disrupts the semantic coherence of the larger discourse
unit. The problem raised in the minds of the disciples is very specifically
tied to the wealth aspect of this question. It seems that the universal
difficulty of EIS THN BASILEIAN TOU QEOU EISELEUSONTAI is essentially
irrelevant to the discussion.

The NT manuscript evidence for Mk 10:24 might be used to support this
understanding. If we assume again that NA27 has the original reading, the
expanded readings might be taken as evidence that one or more scribes felt
the need to make more explicit the fact the the abbreviated statement in
Mk 10:24 is the semantic equivalent of the statement in Mk 10:23.

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point