[b-greek] what is a station? (Shep. 54:1-2)

From: Bart Ehrman (behrman@email.unc.edu)
Date: Thu Sep 14 2000 - 17:10:47 EDT

   In the fifth Similitude of the Shepherd of Hermas, we're told that a
conversation takes place between the Shepherd and Hermas, while the latter
is fasting. The angel asks why Hermas has come out so early in the day,
and then there is a brief interchange: TI ORQIRINOS hWDE ELHLUQAS (the
angel asks: why have you come out so early); 'OTI, FHMI, KURIE, STATIWNA
EXW. TI, FHSIN, ESTIN STATIWN.

   I'm inclined (well, just now) to think that the Greek reader is
supposed by the author to know the Latinism STATIWN, and so I'm leaning
toward a translation something like this "Why have you come out so early?"
"Because, Lord," I replied, " I have a duty." "And what," he asked, "is
the duty?"

   Or should I think instead that the reader -- and the angel -- do *not*
understand the Latinism, and so translate it as "Why have you come out so
early?" "Because, Lord," I replied, "I have a station." "And what," he
asked, "is a station?"

   (I realize, by the way, that STATIWN does not have an article; but
I'm not sure how significant that is for the translation)

   Any thoughts?

-- Bart Ehrman