[b-greek] Re: New Testament Jehovah Quotes

From: Jim West (jwest@highland.net)
Date: Fri Sep 15 2000 - 12:48:50 EDT

At 10:36 AM 9/15/00 -0500, you wrote:
>Would anyone be able to supply me with a list of New Testament passages
>which quote Old Testament passages mentioning Jehovah? Or could you tell me
>a way to find those passages?

there are none-
1) because the name Jehovah is not one which occurs in the OT. God's name
there is Yahweh. Jehovah is a mistransliteration based on unfamilairity
with the massoretic notations on the divine name.

2) the question regarding quotations from the OT is quite complex. Did the
author quote the Hebrew Text? Or the Septuagint? Or did he render the
verse from memory? Did he freely translate the Hebrew into his own Greek?
Thus, before you can know which passages use the divine name you need to
know which source text they quote.

3) the divine name is never rendered by a greek transliteration in the NT.
It is translated Kyrios. never any other way.

Best,

Jim

"When the authorities are clever, and the poor are loyal, it is the effect
of the blessing of Arrata" Sumerian Proverb.

Jim West, ThD
http://web.infoave.net/~jwest