[b-greek] Re: Resources for Matthean PNEUMA

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Wed Sep 20 2000 - 13:26:48 EDT

At 10:59 AM +0800 9/20/00, Tham Wan wrote:
>I am a Th.M.(Pentecostal Studies) student with the Asia Pacific
>Theological Seminary (APTS) at Baguio City, Philippines. This is a modular
>program and I am doing it while still pasturing my church at Kuala Lumpur,
>Malaysia. I have also taught Elementary Greek at our Bible College. For my
>Th.M. thesis, I have chosen to do Matthean pneumatology. Matthean's
>apparent ambivalence to the Spirit has been noted by others; and that is
>exactly the reason for my interest in the topic. With the powerful
>experience of Acts 2, how can the author and community of Matthew be so
>seemingly unenthusiastic about the Spirit? I suspected that behind the
>economy of references of to PNEUMA, there is a distinct authorial intent
>for teaching a Matthean pneumatology. I have since then noticed a pattern
>of development of the use of PNEUMA through the book of Matthew. I am into
>the next phase of research: i.e. to exegete all PNEUMA references in
>Matthew individually. Are there resources any of you know of that will
>help me with my project? Thanks.
>

>Yee Tham Wan
>
>Canaan Church, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
><mailto:thamwan@tm.net.my>thamwan@tm.net.my

I thought I had successfully appended a note to this message before it was
distributed to the list. As the concern of Yee is with a subject beyond the
specific narrow focus of B-Greek (although questions regarding Matthaean
texts using PNEUMA may well be addressed here for discussion individually),
I would urge list-members to respond to Yee's request for assistance with
resources off-list, please. This is not the place for a discussion of
Matthaean pneumatology as such. Thanks for your cooperation.

Co-Chair, B-Greek List
cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu