[b-greek] Re: Phil 1:6 and EN expressing agency

From: Carlton Winbery (winberyc@speedgate.net)
Date: Thu Sep 28 2000 - 18:53:16 EDT

Mike Sangrey wrote;
>My question concerns Phil. 1:6:
> PEPOIQWS AUTO TOUTO,
> hOTI hO ENARXAMENOS EN hUMIN ERGON AGAQON
> EPITELESEI ACRI hHMERAS XRISTOU IHSOU
>
>For reference:
> Phil 1:5
> EPI THi KOINWNIAi hUMWN
> EIS TO EUAGGELION
> APO THS PRWTHS hHMERAS AXRI TOU NUN
>
>My primary question is:
> What are your thoughts regarding EN expressing agency in this verse?
>
>Currently, my translation is:
> I am confident of this: since your partnering has begun [this] good
> work, it will be completed by the time the age of Messiah Jesus begins.

I really don't think that agency is indicated. Agency is rare in the dative
and should be supported by strong evidence. I think that Paul is saying
that the one who began (God) a good work among you (I think a clear
reference to their gift and support of Paul's ministry) will bring it to
completion in the day of Christ. Clearly the participle is in the
nominative case as subject of the verb.

Dr. Carlton L. Winbery
Foggleman Professor of Religion
Louisiana College