[b-greek] 1 Cor 15:12-13. ANASTATIS NEKRWN

From: Moon-Ryul Jung (moon@saint.soongsil.ac.kr)
Date: Sun Oct 01 2000 - 02:52:37 EDT

Dear members,

I have some questions about interpreting 1 Cor 15:12-13.

EK NEKRWN EGHGERTAI ....
ANASTASIS NEKRWN OUK ESTIN.

Let me quote what R. C. H Lenski wrote in his commentary.

----
In the phrase EK NEKRWN, note the absence of the article,
which absence stresses the quality of the noun: dead people,
being dead, so that the sense is "from death".

-----------------------

He criticizes some commentators as follows:
-------------------------
They take EK NEKRWN to mean: "from among", "out from among the dead".
There is no article: "from THE dead" in the Greek. The idea
contained in this phrase is not that when Christ arose, he left
all the other dead behind.
Christ came out of death and re-entered life.
-------------------------

How reasonable is Lenski's interpretation?
I am aware that some interpreters would like to take some meaning
from the fact that the phrase is "rising from among the dead", not
just "rising from death". Isn't there a better way to express
"rising from death" in Greek?

Moon

Moon-Ryul Jung
Associate Professor