[b-greek] Re: Lk 23,16

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Wed Oct 11 2000 - 09:16:22 EDT

At 2:57 PM +0100 10/11/00, SA wrote:
>Greetings B-Greek List,
>I have a question regarding the sentence of Pilate:
“PAIDEUSAS OUN AUTON APOLUSW (Lk 23,16 and 22)
>commonly translated :
> "And so I will give him punishment and let him go",
>But is it possible to understand:
>"Since he has been punished, I'll let him go"?

No. the participle PAIDEUSAS is active and must agree with the subject of
APOLUSW. It can only mean "So after punishing him I'll release him;" (or
better English: "So I'll punish him and then release him."

>The response is certain or ambiguous? Would it be the same without OUN?

It is certain and unambiguous. OUN does nothing but indicate that he has
decided upon this course because (as he says in verse 15), "He's done
nothing deserving of death."

>Sylva
>Paris

[Please use a full-name signature in accordance with B-Greek protocol. In
this case readers can't even discern from the "From" header precisely who
has sent this message, and we do have list-members who don't get Internet
message headers other than the subject.]

cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu