[b-greek] 1st John recipients

From: Mark Wilson (emory2oo2@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Oct 12 2000 - 01:01:59 EDT

<x-flowed>

In first John, I have been trying to figure out the reason for John to
distinguish various "familial" groups (TEKNIA, PAIDIA, PATERES, and
NEANISKOI). And I have yet to see any reason for the use of one designation
over another.

For example, the only characteristic used of PATERES (EGNWKATE) is also used
of PAIDIA. The common characteristic of NEANISKOI (NENIKHKATE) is also used
of TEKNIA.

The references are as follows:

Children

2:1 TEKNIA MH hAMARTHTE

2:12 TEKNIA AFEWNTAI hUMIN hAI hAMARTIAI

2:14 PAIDIA EGNWKATE

2:18 PAIDIA, ESCATH hWRA ESTIN

2:28 TEKNIA MENETE IN AUTWi

3.7 TEKNIA, MHDEIS PLANATW hUMAS

3.18 TEKNIA AGAPWMEN (first person?)

4.4 TEKNIA, KAI NENIKHKATE AUTOUS

5.21 TEKNIA, FULAXATE APO TWN EIDWLWN

Fathers

2:13 PATERES, hOTI EGNWKATE

2:14 PATERES, hOTI EGNWKATE

Young people

2:13 NEANISKOI, hOTI NENIKHKATE

2:14 NEANISKOI … hO LOGOS TOU QEOU IN hUMIN MENEI
   KAI NENIKHKATE TON PONHRON

I have been looking at each group with their corresponding
characteristic(s). Any suggestions as to why John uses these various groups?

The reason I am confused is because what is common to both the PATERES and
the NEANISKOI is found in the other group(s) (TEKNIA and/or PAIDIA). So why
identify the recipients of this letter from these different viewpoints?
There seems to be obvious overlap.

I had expected to find something unique to the PATERES or the NEANISKOI. But
since that did not prove to be the case, I became even more confused.

Any insights would be most appreciated.

Thank you,

Mark Wilson

http://profiles.msn.com.