[b-greek] Re: Hypotaxis & Parataxis

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Fri Oct 13 2000 - 00:24:02 EDT

on 10/12/00 1:39 PM, Philip Graber wrote:

> . . .Spoken mode of discourse tends to use clauses that are
> not lexically dense but are strung together in grammatically complex
> dependency structures. . . .

Philip,

This makes a great deal of good sense. I would assume that some of the
hypotatic structures in Colossians were probably dictated by Paul and for
this and other reasons (e.g., it is a letter) would be found toward the
spoken end the continuum. On the other hand the narrative portions of Mark
would be found toward the written end of the continuum.

Thanks for your post, it was both lucid and thought provoking.

Clay

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point