[b-greek] Re: Ex.15:18 LXX

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Wed Oct 25 2000 - 06:54:34 EDT

At 5:05 PM -0400 10/24/00, Larsendon@aol.com wrote:
>Greetings. In his discussion of participles , Daniel Wallace (Greek Grammar
>Beyond the Basics) includes a category of "Independent Verbal Participles."
>These are participles "that function as though they were finite verbs and are
>not dependent on any verb in the context for their mood... [they] may
>function as either indicatives or imperatives, though both of these are
>extremely rare."
>
>I think that Exodus 15:18 LXX is an example of this indepedent verbal
>participle functioning as an indicative: KURIOS BASILEUWN TON AIWNA KAI EP'
>AIWNA KAI ETI. "The LORD rules the age and over the age and beyond."
>
>What do others think? Can the participle be explained in any other way?

I think you're right, but isn't this really a Hebraism? Participle
functioning as an ordinary present tense? On the other hand, I suppose that
one could argue that there's an implicit ESTI here and that what we have is
a periphrastic present tense--but it seems to me that the periphrastics
with the present participle are more commonly found with tenses of EIMI
other than the present, such as the Johannine HN ... ERCOMENOS or HN ...
BAPTIZWN.

cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu