[b-greek] Re: Ephesians 4:12-14: EIS & EN

From: Mark Wilson (emory2oo2@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Oct 26 2000 - 16:35:52 EDT

<x-flowed>
Brian:

You asked:

> I am working in Ephesians 4 and am trying to get comfortable with
>the use of EIS in vs 12 & 13, and En in vs 14.
>
>12 EIS ERGOV DIAKONIAS
> EIS OIKODOMHN ...
>
>13 EIS THN ENOTHTA
> EIS ANDRA
> EIS METRON
>
>14 EN TH KUBEIA
> EN PANOURGIA

I think you have to evaluate EIS + Acc. on an individual basis. Whether it
is Purpose, Result, Respect, etc. in a particular context will be more or
less based on the development of the text.

I would say the same for EN + Dative here (BTW, your tranliteration is
incorrect). EN + dat. does seem to be "means" in this passage; don't you
agree?

Thank you,

Mark Wilson

http://profiles.msn.com.