[b-greek] Re: Need info on book

From: Seeker (seeker@mailbox.co.za)
Date: Sat Oct 28 2000 - 19:05:48 EDT

Dear Dennis

Thank for the reply. Here is the information:

[On the spine]
Valpy's Greek Testament

[On the title page]
H KAINH
DIAQHKH
Novum Testamentum
in usum scholarum
editio nova
Londini
Whittaker et soc., Ave Maria Lane

No date given. It also contains both 1John 5:7-8 & Acts 8:37-38. Regarding
the _edition_ (thank you for the correction), I was trying to determine
which edition and by whom, i,e.: Stephen's 1550; Elzevir's 1624; etc.

Thank you again for all the help.

PS: Can you refer me to any good critical editions besides Nestlé-Aland &
UBS (already have them), thanks in advance.

Stefan Botha
seeker@mailbox.co.za

On Fri, 27 Oct 2000 17:15:32 -0700 Dennis Hukel (hukel@bhiinc.com) wrote:

>Dear Mr. Botha,
>
>I looked over the e-mail I sent you and found I misspelled "spurious"
near the end. Ordinarily I would expect the
>reader to mentally correct my typos, but in this case it could be
confused with the word "serious".

>Although there were a few editions published between the mid 1500's and
1800 which show some text-critical thought, the
>mainsteam editions were generally a monolithic block which came to be
called the "Textus Receptus". They generally
>differed less between themselves than the differences between NA25 and
NA26. As a monolithic block, there are no
>versions, only editions.
>
>That's why I suggested looking for distinctive readings. You can start by
looking to see if the TR readings which were
>never a part of the Byzantine textual tradition (like the Comma Johanine
at I John 5:7-8 and the Ethiopian Eunuch's
>confession of faith at Acts 8:37-8) were incorporated in the text. If
they are, and there is no critical note, then it
>is just another TR.
>
>I have a Greek Bible from 1545, which was the very first edition to give
some "alternative readings" in an appendix. It