[b-greek] Re: Mounce NIV English-GNT

From: Jason Hare (language_lover64801@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Nov 05 2000 - 04:19:41 EST

Carl,

I could not agree more! I know there are bound to be different opinions on
this subject for sure, but even in my limited experience with dealing with
people and the text, I have noticed self-proclaimed scholars who wave the
Greek text around as if it were their best-friend. However, the sad truth
remains that they, in many accounts, do not know Greek at all. It is
rather sad. Also, large misunderstandings are often founded in a presumed,
yet unfounded, "knowledge" of Greek. I don't know if I should be happy or
sad about this new interlinear. Personally, I prefer to have no English
Bible present. If I have a problem in a spot, I do use my electronic
Bible. But, it must be understood, also, that many people do not have the
time to dedicate themselves to the study of the language and must rely on
Vine's and Strong. The thing is that these should never base so much in
Greek. They should rely more on what they know. We all have our "gifts"
(if you will), but we are not all Greek scholars. Why can't we get that
through our heads? :-)

Sincerely,

Jason Hare
Ozark Christian College