[b-greek] Re: Accentuation to show mood

From: Jason A. Hare (language_lover64801@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Nov 11 2000 - 20:43:19 EST

Michael,

Just looking at the formation of the aorist subjunctive and that of the
aorist imperative clears up this problem, I think. In Mounce's
_Morphology of Biblical Greek_, he lays out the paradigms.

He has the following for aorist passive subjunctive:

LUQW~
LUQHi~S
LUQHi~

LUQW~MEN
*LUQH~TE*
LUQW~SI(N)

The following is aorist passive imperative:

LU/QHTI
LUQH/TW

*LU/QHTE*
LUQH/TWSAN

Apparently, the same phenomenon that you have pointed out with FOBH/QHTE -
FOBHQH~TE is what distinguishes subjunctive from imperative in this tense.
 Therefore, the ~ (circumflex) and / (acute) are the marks that tell you
which is which, and there is a difference between "Do something" and "You
should do something."

Regards,
Jason Hare