[b-greek] Re: participles in Luke 15:4

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Fri Nov 17 2000 - 17:15:55 EST

on 11/17/00 12:50 PM, Cassian DelCogliano wrote:

> My sub-question regards the interpretation of adverbial/circumstantial
> participles linked with KAI, as with ECWN...KAI APOLESAS. Does the KAI
> imply that *both* participles should be interpreted in the same way, i.e.
> as relative clauses, concessives, conditionals, etc.? Or is the usage of
> KAI in this case just one of those times when the genius of Greek language
> cannot be literally translated into another language? Both the Vulgate and
> the Sahidic render ECWN by a relative clause and APOLESAS by an
> conditional. I think in this instance, I would prefer to render both
> participles the same way, i.e. either as conditionals or relatives, but not
> one of each. To me, the KAI seems to imply this. But I am overdoing it?

Cassian,

I will address your sub-question and leave the rest for someone else. In
this particular case I would see both ECWN and APOLESAS as adjectivally
related to ANQRWPOS and adverbially related to KATALEIPEI and perhaps also
to POREUETAI.

If this does not really address your question, ignor it.

Clay

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point