[b-greek] Re: Z text of GNT

From: Patrick Narkinsky (patrick@extremehope.org)
Date: Mon Nov 20 2000 - 14:32:11 EST

On Mon, 20 Nov 2000, Rodney J. Decker wrote:

> I personally have about 20 different editions on my shelf (and several more
> at home), and I've not paid much for most of them--but then it's taken me
> almost 30 years to do so. (Enough garage sales and library used book sales
> eventually produce a few treasures...! Just this fall I finally ran across
> a *first* ed. UBS text--for $1.00! So I now have a complete set of 1, 2, 3,
> 3c, & 4th eds.) In 1972 I paid $3.00 (!) for a brand new, 2d edition UBS
> text--at full list price. But now my students must pay $40 for a new 4th ed.!

On an aside: when I first started pursuing Greek (less than a year ago) I
was shocked to discover that I could get an interlinear for less than a
full Greek New Testament:

        http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0842345647/o/qid=974748392/sr=2-1/107-8702796-2821301

Granted, the full Greek text has the apparatus, but at this stage of the
game I don't use the apparatus and wouldn't know how even if I wanted
to! I wonder how many have been encouraged to use an interlinear edition
just because it was cheaper? Not to mention the fact that I got the
interlinear in 2 days, while it took ABS 2 months to send me the Greek
text.

$45 just seems a bit ridiculous for 50 pages of text almost 2000 years out
of copyright.

Patrick

--
Patrick Narkinsky patrick@extremehope.org

"It is not as a child that I believe and confess Jesus Christ. My Hosanna is
born of a furnace of doubt." -- Fyodor Dostoevski