[b-greek] Re: BDAG

From: Steven R. Lo Vullo (doulos@chorus.net)
Date: Thu Nov 23 2000 - 15:55:44 EST

On 11/23/00 9:40 AM, Steven Craig Miller wrote:

> My impression was that the biggest difference between
> the second (BAGD) and third editions (BDAG) is that BDAG is supposed to get
> away from merely presenting English glosses for Greek words and in its
> place present "definitions" for Greek words, based on modern semantics. The
> impression given (by Danker) was that this will revolutionize NT Greek
> lexicography.

It is interesting that Danker believes that this will "revolutionize" NT
Greek lexicography, since this approach has already been taken by others. In
fact, one of the more significant criticisms of BAGD by Louw & Nida is
dependence on glosses. In the introduction to their _Greek-English Lexicon
of the New Testament Based on Semantic Domains_ (Johannes P. Louw and Eugene
A. Nida, Editors Copyright © 1988, 1989 by the United Bible Societies, New
York, NY 10023 Second Edition [electronic version prepared by OakTree
Software, Inc. Version 2.2]) they say:

"The principal reason for a new type of Greek New Testament lexicon is the
inadequacy of most existing dictionaries, which for the most part are
limited in indicating meanings, since they depend principally upon a series
of glosses. For example, in the Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament
by Walter Bauer, as translated and revised by Gingrich and Danker, the first
meaning of [KATALAMBANW] is given as simply Œseize, win, attain, make one¹s
own,¹ but in the illustrative examples of this first meaning, additional
translational glosses occur, namely, Œgrasp,¹ Œovercome,¹ and Œsuppress.¹
The lack of a satisfactory definition of [KATALAMBANW] leads to the
confusion which occurs when so many different glosses representing diverse
meanings are lumped together."

Steve Lo Vullo