[b-greek] EGEIRW in perfect in 1Cor 15

From: Mark Wilson (emory2oo2@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Nov 24 2000 - 12:03:34 EST

<x-flowed>
Carl wrote:

----
(and I don't personally know of any instance of resurrection that someone
performed on his own initiative!).
----

Of course, Christ, on his own initiative, performed a resurrection on
Lazarus (technically speaking). But I assume Carl means that nobody
initiated "his or her own" resurrection. Which is what my statements on this
passage indirectly implied (albeit, theologically so).

My point was partially based on the theological point found in the Gospel of
John"

10:17 This is why the Father loves me--because I lay down my life, so that I
may take it (LABW) back again. No one takes it away from me, but I lay it
down of my own free will. I have the authority to lay it down, and I have
the authority to take it (KAI EZOUSIAN ECW PALIN LABEIN AUTHN) back again.
This commandment I received from my Father."

My point was that Paul allows for a "co-initiative." (Sorry, but that's the
only word that comes to mind.) And hence, I did acknowledge that God the
Father is seen as "resurrecting" Christ. But I simply did not exclude also
that Christ was given the authority, and exercised it, to resurrect himself.

Carl: is this crossing the "Theological" line for B-Greek? I certainly hope
not! And if so, please accept my apologies in advance. (It seems to me that
on occasion we are justified in going outside a specific passage in our
attempts to understand more fully that specific passage. Perhaps we are
"picking up" on some SECONDARY implications by doing so, but that is all I
was implying, namely, secondary implications.)

Thank you,

Mark Wilson