[b-greek] Re: as requested

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Sun Nov 26 2000 - 07:49:13 EST

At 3:46 AM -0500 11/26/00, Polycarp66@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 11/25/2000 10:52:41 AM Central Standard Time,
>jwest@highland.net writes:
>
>>At 10:34 AM 11/25/00 -0600, you wrote:
>>> A fine picture, to be sure. But just what was it that you were singing?
>>>Could you post a .wav file of the song so we can get the full impact of the
>>>occasion?
>>>
>>> unlurking for this unparalleled event,
>>
>>umm-- i didnt record it. it was a song provided by carl in greek sung to
>>the tune of "when johnny comes marching home..."
>>

>I thought I remembered that it was going to be "Amazing Grace."

My formulation, which is what Jim SAYS that he sang, went as follows:

'DOXA EN hUYISTOIS QEWi KAI EPI GHS TO PALAI ELPIZOMENON LEXIKON TO BDAG
ANQRWPOIS EUDOKIAS. NAI, KURIE, DOXAZOMEN SE MEGALWS, ESTIN GAR PISTIS
ELPIZOMENWN hUPOSTASIS, PRAGMATWN ELEGCOS OU BLEPOMENWN"

but since we can detect either words or melody from the picture, and as
John Keats wrote, "Heard melodies are sweet, but those unheard are sweeter
...", perhaps we should let things stand. We have lately witnessed events
of apocalyptic gravity, if you can believe it ...

cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu