[b-greek] Re: Principal Parts

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Sat Dec 09 2000 - 10:03:05 EST

At 1:12 PM +0000 12/9/00, Maurice A. O'Sullivan wrote:
>At 22:31 08/12/00, Carl W. Conrad wrote:
>
>>Rod Decker has a list of principal parts in a PDF file at his web site but
>>when I tried to open it I found it did not have the embedded Greek font.
>
>As this file [ available at:
>http://faculty.bbc.edu/rdecker/documents/prin_prts.pdf ] is s .pdf file,
>there is no question of "embedded fonts" or " dynamic fonts" as some
>browsers refer to them. A .pdf file is actually a graphic file -- hence one
>cannot do a search on the text. [ However, I see that the latest version of
>the Adobe Acrobat reader v. does have a "search" item on the menu --- but
>this relies on the compiler of the file to have included an index within
>the .pdf file. ]
>
>Another great advance with version 4.05 of Adobe ( for Windows at least )
>is this:
>
> >>accessible to the blind and vision impaired. Please see
>http://access.adobe.com to download or for more information.>>
>
>Rod Decker's file is nicely laid out -- ironically the parts, in a "normal"
>font are actually marginally clearer than the 'present' which is in "bold".

Yes, I've just checked it out again and find it shows up the font (Mounce)
on my computer at home, where I have Mounce installed in the system--but it
didn't show up at the office, where I don't have Mounce installed. I also
found that the font has been removed from Mounce's web-site at teknia.com.

I agree that Rod's form is nicely laid out and has large characters; it
does not, however, have as many of the irregular verbs that I think one
ought to learn, and I personally think that it's worth learning the verb
roots with the verbs so that one can relate them to cognate nouns; that's
why I've added the roots to my listing of the principal parts.

cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu