[b-greek] Re: Hope like Carl likes the snow

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Fri Dec 15 2000 - 09:32:29 EST

At 2:12 PM +0000 12/15/00, Mark Wilson wrote:
>Anyone heard from Carl?
>
>St. Louis had a terrible snow storm.

This is hardly a B-Greek topic, but since it was raised, the storm was on
Wednesday, laid about 8 inches down and was handled efficiently enough that
I've been out and around since yesterday morning. I can remember the winter
of 1960-61 (year of John Kennedy's Inaugural day blizzard) when a
mid-December snowstorm that wasn't expected that day paralyzed Boston for
three days. This one seemed very early for St. Louis, but we have managed
it pretty well. Now, ask Jeffrey Gibson up in Chicago--THEY really had a
lot: 14 inches, wasn't it?

To give this a tad of Greek relevance, I always liked what Antenor, one of
the old men on the walls of Troy said of Odysseus: he didn't LOOK like much
(a sullen and foolish man, perhaps), but when he opened his mouth to speak,
the flow of his rhetoric was like a snowstorm in winter, and nobody in the
world would want to start a quarrel with him.

Iliad 3.220ff:

FAIHS KE ZAKOTON TE TIN' EMMENAI AFRONA T' AUTWS.
ALL' hOTE DH OPA TE MEGALHN EK STHQEOS hEIH
KAI EPEA NIFADESSIN EOIKOTA CEIMERIHiSIN,
OUK AN EPEIT' ODUSHI G' ERISSEIE BROTOS ALLOS.

cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu
cwconrad@ioa.com
http://www.artsci.wustl.edu/~cwconrad/