[b-greek] Fw: ENDIDUSKW

From: Cassian DelCogliano (cassian@holyroodguild.com)
Date: Sat Dec 16 2000 - 10:50:54 EST

Dennis Hukel writes:

> The DI- and -SK- are durative morphs. I call them durative prefixes and
durative suffixes. One should be careful not
> to confuse durative morphs with regular prefixes and suffixes (which
affect lexical meaning). -SK- is the same durative
> morph as -ISK- in other verbs (the I is absorbed into the previous U).
Many verbs have only one durative morph, but
> some have 2 like ENDIDUSKW.
>
> There is no special meaning to durative morphs. They only indicate the
Present and Imperfect tenses. The progressive
> aspect has the same basic grammatical significance in all verbs whether
they use durative morphs or not. The context
> will decide if these tenses are truly "linear" or just the basic
"emphasize the action itself".

This seems to answer my question somewhat. I didn't realize that some
verbal affixes (like the durative morpheme) affect aspect and others
(called 'regular' above) affect lexical meaning. I am still curious as to
why a native Greek speaker/writer would employ ENDIDUSKW as opposed to
ENDUW if they basically mean the same thing when used on the present and
imperfect tenses.

Still curious,
Cassian DelCogliano