[b-greek] Re: EPEITA with EITA

From: Mark Wilson (emory2oo2@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Dec 20 2000 - 13:54:27 EST

<x-flowed>
Alan:

You wrote:

----------
>I Cor. 15.23/24a
>
>(23)hEKASTOS DE EN TWi IDIWi TAGMATI
>APARCH CRISTOS
>EPEITA hOI TOU CRISTOU EN THi PAROUSIAi AUTOU
>(24)EITA TO TELOS...
>
>Of primary interest to me is: What is the sequential
>or temporal relationship between EPEITA and EITA?
>
>In trying to establish the proper "numerical" TAGMATI,
>what are the grammatical considerations in determining
>whether there are 2, 3, or 4 "orders" identified here?
>
>Assuming 2 as:
>1. APARCH = CRISTOS
>2. THi PAROUSIAi = TO TELOS
>
>3 could also be:
>1. APARCH = CRISTOS
>2. hOI TOU CRISTOU EN THi PAROUSIAi AUTOU
>3. EITA TO TELOS
>
>3 might also be:
>
>1. APARCH
>2. CRISTOS
>3. THi PAROUSIAi = TO TELOS
>
>Or, 4 as:
>1. APARCH
>2. CRISTOS
>3. hOI TOU CRISTOU EN THi PAROUSIAi AUTOU
>4. EITA TO TELOS
----------

I think the final order(s) that you mention above, namely:

2. hOI TOU CRISTOU EN THi PAROUSIAi AUTOU
3. EITA TO TELOS

can not be answered conclusively at the grammatical level. That is,
I think one could see one or two orders here. The deciding factor will be
one's understanding of eschatology, not grammar.

I would think, since Christ is presented as the "FIRST" in the order of
things, that the WORD ORDER of this verse would require understanding APARCH
and CRISTOS as appositional. If APARCH were a subsequent "order" than Christ
himself, it seems out of WORD ORDER (which I doubt is insignificant here).

Some have attempted to identify the APARCH with "Christians removed at the
Rapture" (or some other group/order). I would think there is strong
grammatical evidence to the contrary here. Christ himself is the first-fruit
(based on WORD ORDER). That is not to say that WORD ORDER "always" gives us
grammatical insight, but in this verse, that's about all the writer is
using.

To answer your question, I think 3 is the maximum number allowed, 4 would be
grammatically eliminated in my opinion.

My thoughts,

Mark Wilson