[b-greek] IDIOMS

From: Wayne Leman (wleman@mcn.net)
Date: Sat Dec 23 2000 - 11:04:41 EST

> Grammarians use the term "idiom" in two different ways. (1) An idiom
> consists of two or more words, but which functions grammatically very much
> like a single word, so that a person cannot predict the meaning on the
> basis of adding up the meanings of the constituent parts. (2) An idiom can
> also refer to the various patterns of usage of the Greek language.
>
> To my knowledge, there are two books with the term "idiom" in their
titles.
> There is: (a) "An Idiom Book of NT Greek" by C.F.D. Moule and (b) "Idioms
> of the Greek NT" by Stanley E. Porter. Both these books might better be
> classed as intermediate grammars, they are NOT about idioms as defined
> under #1 above. To my knowledge, there are no books solely on the subject
> of idioms (as defined under #1).

Steven, I, too, know of no other books which compile linguistic idioms (your
first meaning sense) for NT Greek. Moule has a few under his Semiticisms
section, but you have to hunt for them. Bullinger has a few among his many
thousands of other forms which he calls figures of speech.

Because of this lack, I have tried to start compiling a list of my own. It
appears at URL:

http://www.geocities.com/bible_translation/ntidioms.htm

All the stated hedges re: whether or not a form is a true linguistic idiom,
some other figure of speech, etc. are genuine.

Wayne
----
Wayne Leman