[b-greek] Re: QARREW & QARSEW in BDAG

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 03 2001 - 15:56:22 EST

At 12:01 PM -0600 1/3/01, Steven Craig Miller wrote:
>I have a question about QARREW vis-a-vis QARSEW, why does BDAG have two
>entries? I've always assumed that these were just two different spellings
>of the same word, am I mistaken here?

Good question; my understanding is that QARREW is an Attic dialect form.
Evidently Danker (and or others working with him) felt that usage of the
two words is significantly differentiated. This is a judgment with which
one might choose to quarrel. I note that L&N offer the following (text rfcs
retained, but I have not kept most of the Greek):

25.156 QARREW or QARSEW (alternative dialectal forms, with QARSEW÷w
occurring in the NT only in the imperative): to have confidence and
firmness of purpose in the face of danger or testing - 'to be courageous,
to have courage, to be bold.' QARROUNTES OUN PANTOTE 'therefore always
being full of courage' 2Cor 5:6; 'I who am meek when face to face with
you, but full of courage when away' 2Cor 10:1; 'in the world you will have
trouble, but have courage' Jn 16:33. In a number of languages 'courage' is
rendered by an idiomatic expression, for example, 'to not move,' 'to be
deaf to threats,' and 'to have a heart like iron.'

cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu