[b-greek] Re: ZHTEW compared with EKZHTEW

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 04 2001 - 06:50:15 EST

At 4:14 AM +0000 1/4/01, Mark Wilson wrote:
>Acts 17: 26b, 27a
>
>hORISAS PROSTETAGMENOUS KAIROUS KAI TAS hROQESIAS THS KATOIKIAS AUTWN
>ZHTEIN TON QEON
>
>Romans 3:11
>
>OUK ESTIN hO SUNIWN
>OUK ESTIN hO EKZHTWN TON QEON
>
>[The following question is worded a bit too theological for my liking;
>hence,
>OFFLIST responses may be more appropriate. I have tried to
>keep it LEXICAL/SEMANTICAL, but I think I was unsuccessful.]
>
>In Acts, certain circumstances and events have been arranged so that
>people might ZHTEIN TON QEON. Yet in Romans, we are told that
>none EKZHTWN TON QEON.
>
>Does the EK in EKZHTWN make a substantial difference, to the extent
>that perhaps ZHTEIN TON QEON does not imply a "diligence." (I note that my
>UBS Lexicon gives EKZHTEW the meaning to "search diligently.")

Looks pretty close to me; here's L&N which put them in adjacent segments of
the same domain.

27.35 EKZHTEW ; EXERAUNAW: to exert considerable effort and care in
learning something - 'to make a careful search, to seek diligently to
learn, to make an examination.'
EKZHTEW Ac 15:17. EXERAUNAW Ú'it was concerning this salvation that the
prophets made a careful search and investigation' 1Pe 1:10.

27.34 ERAUNAW; ZHTEW ; ZHTHSIS f: to attempt to learn something by
careful investigation or searching - 'to try to learn, to search, to try to
find out, to seek information.'
ERAUNAW 'search (the Scriptures) and you will learn that no prophet ever
comes from Galilee' Jn 7:52; 'he who searches the heart knows what the
thought of the Spirit is' Ro 8:27. An equivalent of 'search' in the
expression 'search the Scriptures' may be in some languages simply 'read
carefully' or 'study well.'
ZHTEW : 'Jews ask for signs and Greeks are searching for wisdom' 1Cor
1:22; 'they began searching for some way to kill him' Mk 11:18./ZHTHSIS :
'I was undecided about how I could get information on these matters' Ac
25:20. The clause 'about how I could get information on these matters' may
also be rendered as 'about how I should try to find out about these
matters' or 'about how I could learn about these matters.'

cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu