[b-greek] Re: Star of Bethlehem

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Sun Jan 07 2001 - 07:06:34 EST

At 5:12 AM -0500 1/7/01, Moon-Ryul Jung wrote:
>Carl wrote
>> Grk text: IDOU MAGOI APO ANATOLWN PAREGENONTO EIS hIEROSOLYMA
>> I'd say that APO ANATOLWN really ought to construe with PAREGENONTO,
>> "arrived from the East"--I wouldn't think we should understand the phrase
>> as attributive to
>

>MAGOI without an additional article.
>>

>You seem to have the following in mind:
>
>MAGOI hOI APO ANATOLWN.
>
>Wouldn't it mean THE WISE MEN FROM THE EAST, i.e. a specific group
>of wise men?

Yes, if the text were given us in that fashion.

>By the way, what is the difference between
>
>hOI MAGOI hOI APO ANATOLWN
>and MAGOI hOI APO ANATOLWN?

about one milligram; I guess the first would be a little more definite (as
if the author knew who they were; I don't know when we get the first
tradition that actually names them whatever: Caspar, Balthazar, and
whatever?). But the important thing would be the attributive construction
of APO ANATOLWN.

cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu