[b-greek] Re: sorting out the slight distinctions of John 21 synonyms (per AGAPAO/PHILEO)

From: Paul Zellmer (pzellmer@sc.rr.com)
Date: Tue Jan 09 2001 - 00:37:52 EST

Well, David, I see two problems in your interpretation as being the more
sensible. One is theological, and the other is purely contextusl.

The theological problem is that we do not find men correcting Jesus in the
Johannine writings, yet this is what you see Peter doing here.

The contextual problem is that it would fly in the face of the fact that
Peter was grieved with Jesus' third question, whether it be from the wording
or from the fact that it was the third in a series. After all, if he were
trying to express an even deeper love than Jesus was suggesting, would he
not have instead been glad that Jesus recognized his point. Also, in such a
case, there would seem to be no purpose for a command after the third
question and answer.

So I fail to see how your proposal can be considered the more sensible
interpretation, assuming that there is a significance between the two
synonyms.

Paul Zellmer