[b-greek] RE: Jn.4:24 PNEUMA / 1 Jn 4:8,16 AGAPH - FUNCTION

From: Steve Lovullo (SLovullo@etcconnect.com)
Date: Thu Jan 11 2001 - 09:30:56 EST

I didn't mean to convey otherwise. The words "In each case" above are
parallel to "In both cases" earlier in the paragraph. In other words, "in
each case" means "in each of the two cases in view," i.e., Jn 4.24 and 1 Jn
4.8, 16. The sentence is just an additional comment on the predicate
nominatives in those two cases.

> Your comment about John 1:1 appears to suggest that we can observe the
> semantic issues in Jn 4:8 and draw conclusions about the semantic issues
in
> John 1:1 based simply on the fact that they use a similar syntactical
form.
> I think this is a fallacy. You are loading more meaning into the predicate
> nominative construction than it will bear.

I don't think my comment suggests that at all. All I meant was that
comparisons with constructions of this type may helpful in determining the
meaning of Jn 1.1. For example, comparison of Jn 1.1 with v. 14 reveals a
contrast by means of the predicate nominatives that is very useful in
determining the meaning of Jn 1.1.

Steve Lo Vullo
Madison, WI