[b-greek] Re: Meaning of the perfect tense

From: Alan B. Thomas (a_b_thomas@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Jan 16 2001 - 14:37:01 EST

Mark translated part of Jn 5.24 as

> > "this one has eternal life and does not come into
> judgment
> > why...
> > (because) this one now (concurrent with DC)
> resides in a state of life,
> > having passed out of death."

Part of Cindy's response include...

> While some communication is written or recorded with
> a deictic center related
> to recipients that are receiving it at a later time,
> in Jn. 5:24, the
> intended recipients are present, so I don't think
> that the deictic center can
> be located in the way you are describing. It is not
> really what is meant by
> 'the context of the utterance', which is what deixis
> is about.

Cindy:

Would you expand on this a bit. After reading Mark's
suggested translation, I did feel that it was
addressed to those present at the time of utterance.

I think your suggestion that this is true in an
omnitemporal sense is correct, but what are the
grammatical clues to suggest this?

=====
Sincerely,

Alan B. Thomas