[b-greek] Re: Pronunciation

From: Maurice A. O'Sullivan (mauros@iol.ie)
Date: Thu Jan 18 2001 - 19:06:03 EST

<x-flowed>
At 23:25 18/01/01, Denny A Diehl wrote:

>Which is correct?

Both -- at different times.

Have you established the dates of the mss. with the variants? It could be
several centuries, during which -- as you can discover by consulting:
Horrocks, Geoffrey. Greek: A History of the Language and Its Speakers.
London: Longman, 1997.
there were extensive changes.

You might like to go to:
http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/ptext?doc=Perseus:abo:sec,00001
to read what Smyth's Grammar has to say about changing pronunciation in
times when the language was a lot more stable than the period of NT mss.

I would suggest that you enter "23" in the " Go To.... " box and page on
from there.

Somehow, I don't think you'll find much mention of that precise, scientific
21st century concept of " correct " <g>

Maurice A. O'Sullivan
[ Bray, Ireland ]
mauros@iol.ie

Confucius said: "To study and not think is a waste. To think and not study
is dangerous."
Analects 2:15