[b-greek] Re: Rom. 1:7

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 23 2001 - 08:33:59 EST

At 7:57 AM -0500 1/23/01, Michael Luper wrote:
>In looking at the translations and commentaries regarding Paul's salutation
>in Rom. 1:7, I notice that it is always translated in such a way that Grace
>and Peace come from both God and Christ. The Greek construction appears to
>support a reading that could see Grace and Peace coming from God who is our
>Father as well as the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. This idea of God
>being the Father of Christ is certainly a Pauline concept (Eph. 1:3), and I
>am wondering why the translations and commentaries don't even note this
>possibility. Any ideas?

Text: ... PASIN TOIS OUSIN EN hRWMHi AGAPHTOIS QEOU, KLHTOIS hAGIOIS, CARIS
hUMIN KAI EIRHNH APO QEOU PATROS hHMWN KAI KURIOU IHSOU CRISTOU

While this is technically a real possibility, yet the linkage of PATHR
hHMWN is so standard, reflecting Hebrew liturgical AVENU (I think?), that
it seems less likely that the second genitive KURIOU IHSOU CRISTOU is
really meant to be governed by PATROS rather than APO.

cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu
cwconrad@ioa.com
http://www.artsci.wustl.edu/~cwconrad/