[b-greek] James 1:13 from a new perspective

From: Mark Wilson (emory2oo2@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Jan 25 2001 - 18:53:08 EST

MHDEIS PEIRAZOMENOS LEGETW hOTI APO TOU QEOU PEIRAZOMAI
hO GAR QEOS APEIRASTOS ESTI KAKWN
PEIRAZEI DE AUTOS OUDENA

James 1:13

Is there any possible way of taking hO GAR QEOS APEIRASTOS ESTI KAKWN
as part of what this individual is claiming (rather than a response to
his/her claim)?

For example, No one being tempted should say, "I am being tempted
(directly) from God, because God does not tempt with evil things" (namely,
God does not tempt people indirectly, that is how I know that God
is tempting me directly). This second clause is intended to strengthen
his/her claim of God's directly tempting him/her.

In other words, this individual is providing further support to his/her
claim that
God is indeed tempting him. That support is that God does not tempt people
with evil things, but rather God tempts directly.

Then, the rebuttal comes:

But he [God] himself tempts no one. (This is the rebuttal to all of what
precedes.) In other words, the rebuttal does not address the second
clause. Notice this response only rebuts this individual's claim of
God HIMSELF doing the tempting.

The main reason I ask is because I simply can not find any relevance
to hO GAR QEOS APEIRASTOS ESTI KAKWN as a "response" to
this individual's charge against the temptations he/she is obviously
undergoing.

In other words, this individual is claiming that God tempts him, perhaps
directly APO. So, to continue that "God is not tempted by evil" does not
seem to be a relevant rebuttal to this individual's claim. Why? Because
this
individual is making no such claim about whether or not God himself is
being tempted.

The only way I can much some sense, and granted I am stretching it here,
seems to
be to include this as part of this individual's charge against God.

We have discussed this question out here before, so please send any
and all responses of a non-grammatical nature to me OFFLIST.

Sorry to raise this issue again.

PS: Does anyone know of any commentary that suggests this?

Mark Wilson