[b-greek] RE: James 1:13 from a new perspective

From: Alan B. Thomas (a_b_thomas@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Jan 26 2001 - 10:39:25 EST

Iver Larsen wrote:

> MHDEIS PEIRAZOMENOS LEGETW hOTI APO TOU QEOU
> PEIRAZOMAI
> hO GAR QEOS APEIRASTOS ESTI KAKWN
> PEIRAZEI DE AUTOS OUDENA

> Just to say that from a linguistic, grammatical
> point of view the answer to your
> question is: "No, it is not possible."

I would agree with this "if" the phrase APEIRASTOS
ESTI KAKWN where not here AND the GAR was part of the
final clause. However, this middle clause does provide
linguistic and grammatical grounds for Mark's
suggestion, IMO. And even the suggestion of Stephen
that ALL of verse 13 be part of the claim.

Such statements as "it is not possible" are much too
strong, especially in this awkward construction of
James.

To date, I have not seen an adequate explanation for
the middle clause, as you call it.

I think this is one of those verses that we must
humbly translate on a tentative level at best.

Iver said...

> The fronted "APO TOU QEOU" shows the focus of the
> question: Where does
> temptation come from? From the Devil or from (the)
> God?

APO is also causal. And it may not be a futile task to
look at some options of "because of God." Again, I
think this could be construed with the individual's
claim on grammatical grounds, but it equally might not
be.

> The GAR is not a causal
> connector, but further explains what has been said.

This should be argued on a context by context basis
since GAR often functions as causal.

The Unidentifiable Interlocutor by Scot McKnight has
some very helpful comments on James' use of this
"interlocutor." See WTJ 52 (Fall 1990).

=====
Sincerely,

Alan B. Thomas