[b-greek] Re: "Syntactical Chiasmus"

From: Harold R. Holmyard III (hholmyard@ont.com)
Date: Sun Jan 28 2001 - 19:15:40 EST

Dear Wayne,

Thanks for the interesting piece of biblical writing that you bring to our
attention. You wrote:

>Let me offer a favorite chiasm from a favorite Old Testament book--Qohelet
>(more commonly known as Ecclesiastes). This was discovered by Daniel C.
>Fredericks ("Life's Storms and Structural Unity in Qohelet 11:1-12:8,"
>Journal for the study of the Old Testament 52 (1991), 95-114).

(snip)

>Do you agree that the chiasm was
>the intent of the book's ancient author? Or was it a mere coincidence?
>
>Eccl. 11:3-12:2 as a Chiasm discovered by D. C. Fredericks
>
>Eccl. 11:3 A Clouds and Rain
>Eccl. 11:7 B Light and Sun
>Eccl. 11:8a C Consider the days of darkness
>Eccl. 11:8b D All that comes is breath
>Eccl. 11:9a E Enjoy your Youth
>Eccl. 11:9b F But know ... God will bring you to judgment
>Eccl. 11:10a E' Enjoy your Youth
>Eccl. 11:10b D' All of youth is breath
>Eccl. 12:1 C' Consider God before the days of darkness
>Eccl. 12:2a B' Sun and Light
>Eccl. 12:2b A' Clouds and Rain

It is not coincidence, since the author was skilled in literary matters.
Doubtless these oppositions crossed his mind as he wrote and probably were
designed (see Eccl 12:10!). There are repetitions of words and themes. But
this pattern above looks a bit sharper than it is. First, in C' there is no
word "darkness" ("days of darkness," "days of trouble"). I know that
Fredericks may have been thinking thematically, but he still makes his case
stronger than it is. Secondly, many see a new section beginning at 12:1, as
it introduces the long allegorical description of aging. Third, of course,
Fredericks has left out a number of verses from his chiasm (i.e., 11:4-7).
If chiasm is a formal structure, this can at best be a loose chiasm.
Fourth, there is reason to believe that F is not the central idea of
11:7-10, which seems to be a section, but rather the call to enjoy life.
Also, E and E' are thematically related but make different statements, the
former about pursuing one's desires in happiness, the latter about avoiding
anxiety and bodily harm (both, however, use the word "heart").

So while there is clear repetition of key ideas, it is at least debatable
whether this can be called a chiasm.

                                Yours,
                                Harold Holmyard