[b-greek] Re: Romans 11:33

From: WFWarren@aol.com
Date: Sun Feb 04 2001 - 10:01:46 EST

In a message dated 2/4/01 8:22:50 AM, kilbrai@mail.com writes:

>Reading from the GNT, I first understood this as
>1. O BAQOS = (PLOUTOU QEOU+ SOFIAS QEOU+ GNWSEWS QEOU),
>but in checking a few translations I notice other interpretations such as
>2. O BAQOS PLOUTOU; where PLOUTOU = SOFIAS QEOU + GNWSEWS QEOU.
>or maybe:
>3. O BAQOS (PLOUTOU SOFIAS QEOU) + (PLOUTOU GNWSEWS QEOU)
>****
>
>1. NRSV: O the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God!
>2. NASB & NKJV: Oh, the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge
>of God!
>3. NIV: Oh, the depth of the riches of the wisdom and knowledge of God!
>***
>
>Given the list of genitives joined by KAI, is there anything in the syntax
>or grammar that favours one structure over the other? Or perhaps something
>different from the above? For some reason the "both" used in NASB and NKJV
>seems to puzzle me in particular, as I don't see this arising from the
>Greek.

Greg, the renderings in the KJV, NASB, and NIV (different from the first two,
as you've noted) may be due to the influence of a mostly Latin variant noted
in N-A in which the first KAI is omitted. Even though the KJV and NASB keep
both instances of KAI (as does the TR), the rendering may have been
influenced by the Latin tradition for this text. And, of course,
grammatically the KAI-KAI could be rendered both-and, although personally I
favor the NRSV rendering on this one since a KAI before PLOUTOU would seem to
have been quite awkward and unnecessary, thereby leaving a sequence of three
words very natural IMO. But you've planted a good question before us. I
look forward to the imput of those with more tools at home.

paz,

Bill Warren
http:\\www.nobts.edu\cntts

Bill Warren