[b-greek] Re: KATA IWANNHN and p66

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 06 2001 - 17:19:53 EST

At 9:57 PM +0000 2/6/01, Mark Wilson wrote:
>I've three questions regarding KATA IWANNHN and p66.
>
>1. p66, dated circa 200, contains the following heading:
>
> EUAGGELION KATA IWANNHN
>
>(as best my eyes can make out)
>
>Why do we (for example, UBS3) drop the EUAGGELION?
>

>2. I have always been told that John does not identify
>himself as the author of the Gospel of John. However, at
>least by 200 AD, the heading was there identifying, at
>least, someone named John. Since the autographa do not exist,
>how do we know that the original Gospel of John did not
>have this heading? Is there an older witness than p66
>which does NOT contain the heading?
>
>3. Of little significance is this third question, but why
>is not the final A dropped from KATA since the following word
>begins with a vowel?

Others may give you better answers.

(1) The title for the gospels is not taken from p66;

(2) The traditional ascriptions of the gospels are fairly old; the question
is whether any internal evidence in the gospels sufficiently supports those
ascriptions. This is not the place to discuss that question, and in fact,
this information is what you should find in any good standard Introduction
to the NT (nor is this the place to discuss which standard Intro is "good").

(3) The Iota in IWANNHN, even if it is preceded by a smooth breathing (like
the iota of IHSOUS), has the force, immediately preceding a vowel like
that, of a consonant. That is, pronounce it EEOH a couple times and I think
you'll find it becomes a clipped E and YOH: eYOH-ANN-AYN. That's
speculative, but I think it is the reason why KATA is not elided in this
instance.

cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu