[b-greek] Re: Machen's tedious explanation for accenting

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Wed Feb 07 2001 - 00:25:13 EST

At 10:48 PM -0500 2/6/01, Matthew Ooten wrote:
>Here's the exact phrase found in Machen's book.
>
>"In the case of the noun (a,n,th,r,o,p,o,s)the accent is trying in every
>other form to get back to the antepenult, in accordance with the rule of
>noun accent, since it is the antepenult which is accented in the
>nominative singular. (Here's the confusing part) But where the ultima is
>long, the accent cannot get back to the antepenult, since that would
>violate rule 3a (Ultima is long, Antepenult can't be accented)"
>
>Thanks!!!! (Have only been involved for a few weeks, man I hope I can see
>some light pretty soon!)
>
>Matt
>[Matthew Ooten--new list-members PLEASE use a full-name
>signature at the close of your messages!]

If your word is AN-QRW-POS, then the ultima (POS) is short and the penult
(QRW) is long; there is nothing to prevent the accent from going back to
the initial syllable (AN), which in this three-syllable word is in fact the
antepenult. The word will be accented AN'-QRW-POS.

However, the genitive singular of this same word is AN-QRW-POU (I'm
artificially marking off the syllables, of course), and here the ultima
(POU) contains a diphthong and is therefore long; this means that the
accent can go no further back than the penult and the word will be
accented: AN-QRW'-POU.

cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu