[b-greek] Re: Search Engines for NT

From: Dan Parker (stoixein@sdf.lonestar.org)
Date: Sun Feb 11 2001 - 11:40:54 EST

> Dear Bgreekers,
>
> I have BibleWindows as my "bible software". I find the "grammatical
> search engine" of BibleWindows unsatisfying. It is very difficult
> to find phrases or sentences that match a given pattern. For example,
> I cannot say "Find phrases of the pattern [NP (acc) Participle (acc)]"
> or "Find sentences of the form [NP (nom) Adv V NP (acc)]". It shows
> that the author of the software did not consult any trained linguists
> at all to design the software. I wish I had time to write such a software.
>
> Are you aware of any software that can do what I want?
>
> Moon
> Moon-Ryul Jung
> Sogang Univ, Seoul, Korea

Moon,
Your software should be able to accomodate your needs once you learn this
new "language" of the BibleWorks search engine. For example your term
of NP (acc) would be '*@n-a and your Participle (acc) would be *@vp*.

Putting these two together as '*@n-a *@vp* using the GNM (Greek New
Testament Morph) give 421 verses with 444 hits starting with Mat 2:23; 4:13;
6:30; 7:29; 8:9; 9:9 ... Rev 22:1.

Go through the help menu and look at the examples they give for searches
and you will probably be able to do just about everything you need.

Regards,
Dan Parker