[b-greek] Re: Perfect participle in Eph. 1:18

From: Moon-Ryul Jung (moon@saint.soongsil.ac.kr)
Date: Mon Feb 12 2001 - 00:17:48 EST

[Carl]>
In fact, it seems to me that this phrase, PEFWTISMENOUS
> TOUS OFQALMOUS THS KARDIAS, is simply a paraphrase of PNEUMA SOFIAS KAI
> APOKALUYEWS EN EPIGNWSEI AUTOU intended to clarify what being in possession
> of that spirit would mean. It seems to me that the point of the perfect
> participle PEFWTISMENOUS is on the state resulting upon the illumination
> rather than on the fact of the illumination "having been" accomplished.

[Moon]
PNEUMA SOFIAS KAI APOKALUYEWS is an entity, whereas PEFWTISMENOUS TOUS
OFQALMOUS THS KARDIAS is a state of the mind. They are not parallel with
respect to grammatical category and meaning. It is also difficult to
consider
TOUS OFQALMOUS appositional to PNEUMA SOFIAS, because the former becomes
the latter only when it is illumined.

So, I am inclined to analyze the sentence as follows:

[DWHi hUMIN PNEUMA SOFIAS] [PEFWTISMENOUS] [TOUS OFQALMOUS THS KARDIAS]

and render it as follows:

God may give-you-the-sprit-of-wisdom [to make] the eyes of your heart
illumined.

This way, I forced the above sentence match the typical sentence
structure NP(S) V NP(O) Pred. What do you think?

Moon
Moon-Ryul Jung
Sogang Univ, Seoul, Korea
illumined.