[b-greek] Re: TEKNON - 1 Tim 3:4-5; Titus 1:6

From: dbroking (dbroking@preferred.com)
Date: Fri Feb 16 2001 - 06:52:14 EST

> From: "Mark Markham" <markhamm@topsurf.com>
>
> > Lester,
> >
> > TEKNON refers in general to offspring-- really of any age--

Knowing that TEKNON rferrs to offspring, or often "posterity" when
used in the plural (BDAG). The question I have in regards to
TEKNA as used in 1 Tim. 3:4 is this, must one who serves as
a bishop have more than one child? Not all arguments like
this can be based on grammatical form. For example in
Gal. 3:16 the word "SPERMATI" (seed, 1st usage in verse)
may be used to denote one person as in Gal. 3:16, or a group
of people as in verse Gal. 3:29.

Now, what about "children" verses a "child" in regard to
a bishop? Is it the case that the scope of the passage seems
to indicate that a bishop's children are held within the spear
of obedience. In this case the focus is not on the number of
children, rather the obedience of children. Even if men with
one child are qualified to serve in the office, and I believe
that they are, then you would not expect the verse to read
"having a child." Is the text simply indicating that a bishop's
posterity (which would include children being reared even if
adopted, et al) must be held within the spear of obedience.

Sincerely,
Darrell Broking, Preacher
Mountain City Church of Christ
206 Willow Circle