[b-greek] RE: OUDE in 1 Timothy 2:12

From: Iver Larsen (alice-iver_larsen@wycliffe.org)
Date: Sun Feb 18 2001 - 01:35:14 EST

> I'm playing with an idea about this verse, and I think the language
> can bear it, but I want to get some additional input. I'm wondering
> if the OUDE, "nor," might have some explanatory force, "that is to
> say." A tentative translation with this sense would be something
> along the lines of "I do not permit a woman to teach, which is to
> say, to assume authority over a man etc." The idea I'm heading for
> is one of arbitrarily placing herself in authority, rather than taking a
> teaching role by mutual consent as seems to be the case with
> Priscilla and Apollos in Acts.
>
> Is this idea about OUDE completely off the wall, or might it have
> some merit? Thoughts?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave Washburn

I would follow you in that direction, but not go quite as far.

While looking at the difference between KAI OU and OUDE, it seems to me that KAI
OU introduces a new thought or something unexpected. The OUDE often introduces a
parallel thought along the same line. It does not necessarily explain, but
rather complements the thought or adds another aspect.

It is also useful to look at what the topic is in the sentence and that is
indicated by word order. The text says:
DIDASKEIN DE GUNAIKA OUK EPITREPW OUDE AUQENTEIN ANDROS, ALL' EINAI EN hHSUCIA

The focus is first on teaching, secondarily on women doing it and thirdly on
this not being allowed. This is then complemented by AUQENTEIN which probably
does not refer to a proper execution of rightful authority, but rather to an
imposing of oneself as an authority in a situation where one has not been given
such authority.

We should also remember that "teaching" in the NT is not primarily a matter of
pedagogy, but a question of discerning true teaching from false teaching.

Those were my thoughts,
Iver Larsen