[b-greek] Re: "hEWRAKA ISRAHL MONON EN TH IDIA GH" and "EKHRUXAN"

From: Maurice A. O'Sullivan (mauros@iol.ie)
Date: Sun Mar 04 2001 - 11:29:57 EST

<x-flowed>
At 15:23 04/03/01, Justin Richmond wrote:

>In the book I'm
>syudying, Greek To Me (by Cullen IK Story and J. Lyle Story), it says that
>"hEWRAKA" is the perfect of "LEGW" meaning "I say" or "I speak".

Justin:
Check the spelling again; the perfect of LEGW comes from another verb,
EIRW, and is EIRHKA

Why not go to http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/lexica.html
and choose either of the Greek dictionaries, and enter LEGW and scroll down
until you find such examples of the perfect of LEGW as LELEXA ( where X =
Chi ) as used by the ancient medical writer Galen but note the addendum:
EIRHKA in correct writers):--

Maurice A. O'Sullivan [ Bray, Ireland ]
mauros@iol.ie