[b-greek] Re: Second Plural

From: Mike Sangrey (msangrey@BlueFeltHat.org)
Date: Thu Mar 08 2001 - 20:39:59 EST

jim@dardenhome.com said:
> Does anyone know of a scripture reference where the second plural is
> so ambiguous when translated into English (excluding the KJV) that the
> referent is easily confused?

Phil. 1:6
        generally taken as singular.
        "begun a good work in y'all"
Phil. 2:12
        also generally understood as singular.

        "work out y'alls salvation"
    This one is particular interesting since `salvation' is singular
and people have definitions of `salvation' which don't allow them to
get their minds around what Paul is really saying.

The whole `plural you' problem is, IMO, greatly enlarged by our highly
individualized society, at least highly so relative to the 1st century.
That makes the ambiguity that much less likely to see.

I personally think it would be interesting, though I don't have the
time, to research cancelability as it relates to plural you. In other
words, we have four cases but only a singular and a plural you:

    1. single person solely referred to
    2. group of people referred to as a group
    3. individuals referred to within a group
    4. the group of individuals

How did the Greek refer to each of these? Use of PAS comes to mind, but
is that the only way?
--
Mike Sangrey
msangrey@BlueFeltHat.org