[b-greek] RE: Greek Idioms

From: Vincent M. Setterholm (Vincent@zeteotech.com)
Date: Sat Mar 24 2001 - 07:25:13 EST

Porter's book is an intermediate grammar. It really isn't concerned with
'idioms'. Since he named his work after Moule's, I am guessing Moule's is
also not about Idioms in the common use of the word (Porter's Introduction
implies this), but I have not read Moule.

It might not be what you were looking for, but I find Porter's book to be
quite useful. In several places his views differ from Wallace's (the other
intermediate grammar I make use of), so I find reading Porter is worthwhile
for contrast.

The first chapter has a nice summary of Porter's theory on Verbal Aspect
(only 30 pages). Porter's probably my favorite grammarian because he rather
fearlessly throws out so many interesting ideas for discussion. Always a
good read.

Cheers,
Vincent M. Setterholm