[b-greek] Re: Act 7:59 (NP constituents- To Moon

From: Mark Wilson (emory2oo2@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Mar 25 2001 - 10:16:45 EST

<x-flowed>
Moon:

You wrote:

-----
>It is based on the basic principle:
>(1) The modifiers of the head noun contributes
> to determining the referent of the NP.
>(2) Predicates explain the referent of the NP, which is
> already determined.
>
>So, whether KOIMWMENOUS is a modifier or a predicate depends on
>whether it helps determine the referent of AUTOUS or it explains
>the referent of AUTOUS. Because AUTOUS is a demonstrative pronoun,
>we should think that its referent is already known.
-----

The obvious question that comes to my mind is concerning participles of the
category (1) above. It seems that by default all participles of category (2)
would also fit category (1). And in my mind, I am trying to see why the
reverse is not also true.

Can you give me a few examples of participles (attributives) used where the
referents are being "determined" (because they are not ALREADY DETEERMINED)
by the participles? Or, have I misunderstood your grammatical principles
above.

Thank you,

Mark Wilson