[b-greek] Re: Rm. 9:32a

From: Dave Washburn (dwashbur@nyx.net)
Date: Sat Mar 31 2001 - 10:10:23 EST

> Dave,
>
> I have no problem with interpreting hWS to mean "as if it were possible".
> I would have:
>
> > > Israel seeking the law of righteousness (the law that promises
> > > righteousness) did not attain to that law.
> > > Why? Because [they seeked it] not by faith [in Christ]
> > > but as if it were possible by works (deeds) [of the law].
> >

> But according to the historical reconstruction of the first centry
> Judaism suggested by the proponents of the "New Perspective on
> Paul", e.g. E. P. Sanders and James Dunn, it was not a religion of
> "work-righteousness".

[snip]

Then Paul was wrong in this passage. This approach is well and
good if one accepts this "new perspective," but I don't. However,
that topic takes us too far afield of Greek, so I'll drop it. Suffice to
say that Sanders and Dunn make Paul more politically correct (at
least for American audiences), but they have to ignore a lot that he
says especially in Romans to do it. Hence, I don't buy their
approach.

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
violated." C. S. Lewis