[b-greek] Re: the use of future

From: Glenn Blank (glennblank@earthlink.net)
Date: Fri Apr 06 2001 - 13:50:14 EDT

Mike Sangrey <msangrey@BlueFeltHat.org> wrote on Fri, 06 Apr 2001 11:28:46
-0400

>I have the following definitions in a file. [snip]
>

> Indicative: From my perspective this exists in reality.
> Subjunctive: From my perspective this exists in my mind, but not in
> reality.
> Optative: From my perspective this exists in my mind, but I have a
> contingent expectation that it will exist in reality.
> Imperative: From my perspecitve this exists in my mind, but I want it
> to exist in reality.
> Future: From my perspective though this exists in my mind, it will
> exist in reality.

Thank you Mike, for these characterizationa. I would only suggest this
modification for subjunctive: "from my perspective, this exists
hypothetically, but not *necessarily* in reality." Subjunctive does *not*
indicate that the proposition is *not* true in reality, only that no claim
is being made for its existence in reality. As just one example, the
passage recently discussed concerning conditionals, Mat 8.19, the scribe was
not indicating by hOPOU EAN APERCHi that Jesus was not going to certain
places, but only that the specific places Jesus was going was not at issue.

But once again, the caveat that although these are fair characterizations of
the distinctions between *semantic* moods, the syntactic appearance of a
particular mood does not necessarily express its corresponding semantic
sense.

Best regards,
glenn blank
Pensacola, FL