[b-greek] Re: Jn 20:9, DEI AUTON EK NEKRWN ANASTHNAI

From: Bill Barton (phos@prodigy.net)
Date: Thu Apr 12 2001 - 20:17:10 EDT

Paul Dixon wrote:

PD>Jn 20:9, DEI AUTON EK NEKRWN ANASTHNAI
A number of translations render this:
he must rise again from the dead (KJ, NASB, Rheim's, etc.).
Where do they get the "again"?>

Possibly "again" is a carry-over from Tyndale's New Testament.

PD>When was Jesus raised previously from the dead?>

The prefix ANA in compounds can indicate a reversing force, "up, back
again." So in this context Jesus was raised back to life.

If this was the translator's intent, then I'd say "again" is being used in
the obsolete sense of "in the opposite direction; back" (Oxford English
Dictionary defn. 1a). That is, Jesus was to rise back to life from the
dead.

Another example of this usage of "again" is Matt. 7:6, "turn again and rend
you." Matt 7:6

Bill Barton